Medela Contact Nipple Shields is an effective tool for professionals and moms to manage infants with latch-on problems, for moms with overactive let-downs or for flat, inverted and sore nipples. Medela Nipple Shields enable continued breastfeeding without interruption until these problems are resolved.
- For latch-on difficulties or flat/inverted nipples: To help continue breastfeeding
- Unique cut-out shape: Allows for more skin contact between mom and baby
- Available in different sizes (16, 20, 24 mm): Consult a lactation professional for assistance
- Made without BPA: All parts that come into contact with breast milk are not made with BPA
- Comes with case
Recommended for babies 0+ months.
- S: 16 mm
- M: 20 mm
- L: 24 mm
Breastfeeding with Contact Nipple Shields
Medela Contact Nipple Shields offer a durable, comfortable and convenient way to make breastfeeding easier. These Medela nipple shields are designed to help mums breastfeed babies with latch-on difficulties by providing a larger, firmer target for latching. They can also be used to help mums with flat, inverted or sore nipples or an overactive let-down to breastfeed. The Contact Nipple Shields are specially designed and constructed to provide closer contact for your baby.
Benefits of Contact Nipple Shields
Medela Contact Nipple Shields protect your nipples during feeding and help your baby to latch on. The special shape offers high skin contact. The 100 per cent BPA-free shields are available in three sizes and come in a practical storage box.
- Available in three sizes: 16mm, 20mm and 24mm
- Unique cut-out shape allows a high skin contact between you and your baby
- Enables breastfeeding despite latch-on difficulties or sore, flat or inverted nipples
For more information on how to use nipple shields, check out Medela's article here.
- Includes: 2 x Nipple Shields with Case
- Made of thin silicone
Medela nipple shields can be an effective tool for a new breastfeeding mother with latch-on problems or an overactive let-down response. The nipple shields enable continued breastfeeding without interruption until these problems are resolved.
When to Use
- Flat or inverted nipples: Some babies have difficulty latching onto the breast. Flat or inverted nipples can contribute to latch-on problems. A nipple shield gives the baby a larger area to latch onto, while breastfeeding helps draw the nipple out. This makes it easier for the baby to subsequently latch onto the breast without the nipple shield.
- Latch-on difficulties: Other babies are slow to learn how to latch on in the first week. The use of a nipple shield can temporarily assist the baby in attachment to the breast, until the baby has learned the proper technique without the use of a shield. Silicone has been used by Medela in the manufacturing of their Nipple Shield because it has minimal odor and taste.
- Overactive let-down: Occasionally a mother will have an overactive let-down response which can cause a baby to choke and pull off the breast. Using a nipple shield can slow down the flow of milk, thus enabling the baby to continue nursing. As the baby matures and becomes more coordinated with the sucking and swallowing, the nipple shield is no longer needed.
WARNING: It is important to use a nipple shield under the direction of a healthcare professional or lactation consultant.
How to Use
- Always wash the nipple shield in hot soapy water and rinse in hot water before and after use.
- Place the nipple shield in hot water prior to nursing. This makes the shield more pliable and adhere to the breast better. A small amount of lanolin cream under the rim, but not in the nipple portion, may also help it adhere to the breast.
- Handle the nipple shield by the rim. Turn the nipple shield inside-out halfway. Place the nipple shield over the breast with the nipple centered inside the nipple portion of the shield. Then flip the shield right side out, enclosing as much of the nipple as possible. If using the Contact™ nipple shield, position the open section where the baby’s nose will contact the breast.
- Support the breast with a “C” hold. Place thumb on top of the breast and nipple shield and with fingers below, away from the areola (the dark pigmented skin surrounding the nipple).
- Tickle baby’s lower lip with nipple until he opens WIDE, then quickly pull baby onto the nipple shield, so baby takes as much of the nipple as possible into his mouth.
- If the nipple shield is being used for a baby having difficulty latching onto the breast, remove the nipple shield after a minute or two of breastfeeding. Try to attach the baby to the breast without the nipple shield. Continue to do this with each feeding until the baby is able to latch-on without the shield. Some babies need only one or two sessions with the nipple shields, while others may need more.
- Unit Weight: .1 lbs
- Unit Size/Packaging: 6-1/4 x 4-1/2 x 1-1/4
How do I sanitize the nipple shield?
- Rinse in cool water to remove breast milk.
- Wash in warm, soapy water.
- Rinse with clear water.
Note: Nipple shields can also be washed on top rack of dishwasher.
Drying & Storing
Allow nipple shield to air dry in a clean area and store dry with the nipple facing upwards. Do NOT store wet or damp parts.
In addition to washing, you may sanitize your nipple shield once per day by following the instructions on Medela’s Quick Clean™ Micro-Steam™ bag or boiling.
If boiling your nipple shield:
- Choose a pot that is large enough so the nipple shield DOES NOT rest on the sides or bottom while boiling.
- Fill the pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Carefully drop nipple shield into boiling water, and boil for 10 minutes.
- Gently remove from water with tongs and place on a clean surface with nipple facing upwards. (For easier removal, add cool water to pot to prevent splashing.)
- See Drying & Storing section above for further instructions.
What is the diameter of the nipple shield at the base?
Medela’s Nipple Shields are available in 3 sizes: 16 mm, 20 mm, and 24 mm (measured at the base).
How can I determine what size nipple shield I will need?
Choose the size closest to your nipple base diameter. We recommend that you seek advice from a lactation consultant or other healthcare professional to determine the correct size for you and your baby.
- Medela Freestyle Breast Pump (Local Set, 1-Year Warranty)S$539.10 List Price: S$799.00
- Medela Disposable Breastmilk Bottle, 80ml (40 pack) - Made in SwitzerlandS$66.90 List Price: S$78.70
- Medela Swing Single Flex Breast Pump BundleS$329.00 List Price: S$505.70
- Jellycat Bashful Bunny Soft Toy (Medium, 31cm) (27 Colours)S$41.90 (+10% OFF FOR VIP)
- Medela Milk Bottle Teats (2-pack) (2 types) - Local SetS$9.27 List Price: S$10.90
- Medela Swing Maxi Breast Pump (Local Set, 1-Year Warranty)S$329.00 List Price: S$599.00
- Medela Calma Solitaire Breastmilk Teat - Made in SwitzerlandS$26.90 List Price: S$32.80
- Medela Swing Maxi Flex Breast Pump BundleS$449.00 List Price: S$673.70
- Medela Breastmilk Bottles, 150ml (3 pcs) - EU VersionS$19.90 - S$21.90 List Price: S$31.50
- Medela Swing Maxi Flex Double Electric Breast PumpS$381.65 List Price: S$559.00
- Medela Calma Breastmilk Bottle, 150ml - Made in SwitzerlandS$31.90 - S$32.90 List Price: S$38.80
- Medela Silicone Breastmilk Collector (with Free Purelan Nipple Cream 7g)S$32.90 (+10% OFF FOR VIP)
- Medela Breast Milk Store and Feed Set - EU VersionS$65.90 (+10% OFF FOR VIP)
- Medela Breastmilk Bottles, 250ml (2 pcs) - EU VersionS$19.90 List Price: S$30.90
- Medela Breast Shells For Sore Nipples (1 pair) - Made in SwitzerlandS$26.90 (+10% OFF FOR VIP)
- Medela Swing Breast Pump (Local Set, 1-Year Warranty)S$179.00 List Price: S$359.00
- Medela PersonalFit Breastshields (2 pcs) - EU Version (2 Sizes)S$19.90 List Price: S$31.90