Bickiepegs Doidy Weaning Cup is a uniquely slanted open cup that trains and helps infants during weaning. The two-handled Doidy Weaning Cup, has been scientifically designed with a unique slant in order to teach infants to drink from a rim, NOT a spout or teated bottle. The sloping design allows a more natural upward and downward motion of the hands and arms, it teaches infants to drink from an open cup and how to put it down correctly.
- Teaches young infants (around 3 months) to drink from a rim instead of a spout.
- Due to the sloping design there is no forward or downward movement of the head
- Contents are easily visible so they do not have to tip the cup up to see clearly when drinking
- Teaches them to drink from an open cup and also to put it down correctly
- Prevents overfeeding, as the baby sets the pace and the quantity they consume
- An ideal aid to weaning as the natural mouth action used is the same as during breast feeding.
- Drink safely from a cup with fewer spillages
- More hygienic than spouted cups as it does not have any cracks or crevices for bacteria to collect in.
- Holds up to 6-1/2 fl. oz. (192ml).
Recommended for infants from as early as 3 months of age.
FOR BREAST FED & BOTTLE FED BABIES – Critically, the Doidy Weaning Cup is suitable for breast fed babies and for bottle fed babies alike from three months. If you are feeding your baby a combination of breast and expressed milk you can use a Doidy cup instead of a bottle as it uses the very same suckling action of the tongue as breast feeding. Bottle feeding requires baby to learn a different action of the tongue, one with a strong sucking action rather than suckling and may lead to confusion if you are interchanging between breast and expressed milk. Equally, if you are weaning your child and starting open cup training it makes sense to move straight to the Doidy Weaning Cup’s open rim.
CRITICAL SKILLS & HEALTH BENEFITS – Not only does drinking from the Doidy Weaning Cup encourage good oral movements and help babies develop swallowing skills, it also helps hand eye co-ordination, aiding infants to learn how to place a cup down properly. In fact, Health Professionals promote the use of an open cup such as The Doidy Weaning Cup to help prevent many conditions that may occur from prolonged use of a teat or spout. This can include premature tooth decay (early dental caries) and speech problems, with speech therapists even using the Doidy Weaning Cup to teach lip and tongue control. Bottle fed children have an increased probability of iron depletion compared with cup fed children (see Health Professionals references).
How to start the weaning process
When first introducing the Doidy Weaning Cup use a small amount of liquid and hold the cup at the bottom. Place the rim on the lower lip to allow baby to take what she wants. Around 5 months the baby will take the handles and try to feed themselves more independently.
There may be some spillages but remember this is the only way that baby will learn.
When travelling it is recommended that all drinks should be kept in a separate sealed container and the cup in a plastic bag and washed after use. Discard any drink that has been contaminated with saliva as it is open to bacteria.
The process of drinking from the Doidy Weaning Cup uses the same natural jaw and tongue suckling movements as with breastfeeding. Thanks to its exceptional features the Doidy Weaning Cup may be used for feeding the baby with expressed or formula milk (leaving the baby’s suckling ability intact);
Health Professionals recommend the introduction of an open cup from 6 months of age. Breast or bottle-fed babies may be encouraged to drink from the Doidy Weaning Cup. Learning to drink from the Doidy Weaning Cup at a young age can allow the move from breast to cup without the introduction of a spout or teated bottle.
Bearing in mind Health Professionals and Government recommendations for complete bottle elimination by the age of 1 year, it is often the case that infants want to independently drink from an open cup, to be part of the social eating experience and to show how clever they are!
OLDER CHILDREN & ADULTS
Moreover, the Doidy Weaning Cup may also be used by older children and adults – for example those with special needs, or for the elderly who may be bed bound or cognitively impaired.
THE DOIDY CUP is tried & trusted in baby weaning and open cup training. For nearly 70 years since its development in 1950 Doidy Weaning Cup’s unique design helps children see the level of the liquid contents and teaches them early hand to eye co-ordination. The two-handled Doidy Weaning Cup, has been scientifically designed with a unique slant in order to teach infants to drink from an open cup, rather than from a spout or a teated bottle. Health Professionals, the Government* and leading health organisations such as The British Dietetic Association* are active in recommending the introduction of an open cup at around 6 months of age and completely stopping the use of a bottle by 12 months. As well as teaching valuable skills there are a number of critical health benefits associated with open cups compared to other drinking vessels.
BY DESIGN – young infants (from around 3 months) find the two handled Doidy Weaning Cup easy to drink from because:
- The contents are clearly visible when drinking;
- The sloping design allows a more natural upward and downward motion of the hands and arms (unlike bottles and sippy cups which require forward and backward movement of the head);
- It teaches them to drink from an open cup and how to put it down correctly;
- Children are less likely to overfeed;
The above benefits allow mothers to make the move from breast to open cup in one step rather than introducing a teat or spout.
NATURAL PROGRESSION – Drinking from the Doidy Weaning Cup is a natural progression from breast feeding because it uses the same suckling action.
HEALTHY SKILLS – Drinking from the Doidy Weaning Cup encourages good oral movements and helps to develop chewing skills as the jaw, tongue and mouth muscles are used. It also helps with hand, eye co-ordination.
RELIABILITY – For almost 70 years the Doidy Weaning Cup has been helping children learn to drink from an open cup. Doidy Cups are sold by the National Childbirth Trust (NCT).
FEATURES – 200 ml capacity, hygienic, steriliser-safe, dishwasher-proof (top shelf) and freezer-proof, available in 17 colours including a solid, pearlised and sparkle finish. They are manufactured in the U.K. from virgin food safe HDPE, and DO NOT CONTAIN Bisphenol, Phthalates or PVC. They conform to EN 14350 regulations. Doidy Weaning Cups are fully recyclable.
RECOMMENDATION – Health Professionals including Health Visitors, Dietitians, Dental Professionals and Speech Therapists recommend Doidy Weaning Cups for easier weaning but also to help prevent long term health problems caused by delayed weaning from the bottle.
Bickiepegs Healthcare is a supporter of the British Society for Paediatric Dentistry’s Dental Check by One Campaign.
- Health professionals promote the use of a DOIDY cup to help prevent: premature tooth decay, poor feeding techniques, speech problems, anemia, and malnutrition;
- Speech Therapists use the DOIDY to teach lip and tongue control. It is also used by people with disabilities, those that are elderly & people with Alzheimer's;
Not only is the Doidy Weaning Cup ideal for infants but it also lends itself for use with Special Needs & Adults, especially the elderly. It has successfully been used in dementia patients who find the drinking action more familiar to grasp than the sucking action required from a spout. Doidy Weaning Cups are also more dignified than many cups for these user groups. The Alzheimer’s Society has carried out research and found that utensils red in colour are easier for dementia sufferers to use.
Yes, of course, you can. The colour is the same as in product title and the first image.
- Bickiepegs Doidy Weaning Cup, 6.5oz - Sparkle CeriseS$9.90 (+10% OFF FOR VIP)
- Bickiepegs Doidy Weaning Cup, 6.5oz - Sparkle PurpleS$9.90 (+10% OFF FOR VIP)
- Bickiepegs Doidy Weaning Cup, 6.5oz - OrangeS$9.90 (+10% OFF FOR VIP)
- Bickiepegs Doidy Weaning Cup, 6.5oz - Cerise PinkS$9.90 (+10% OFF FOR VIP)